What to do if your T4A or RL-1 slip has incorrect information?

Image of "tax season" written in tiles on table with Canadian tax forms

You’ve received your T4A or RL-1 tax slip and are working through your taxes when you find an error on the slip. Oh no! What do you do?

If your T4A or RL-1 slip has incorrect information, such as the wrong income amount or a repayment you’ve made that is not reflected on the slip, be sure to call the CRA to have the error corrected as soon as possible. Problems like these can take days and weeks to fix and the earlier you spot the error, the earlier the error can be fixed. Allowing you to move on with your personal accounting.

Frequent errors on T4A tax slips include:

  • Misspelled names, businesses, employers, or addresses
  • Incorrect dollar amounts
  • Wrong social insurance numbers
  • You did not receive COVID-19 benefits but still received a T4A tax slip

If any of these errors show up, be sure to call the CRA as soon as possible to have the problem mended. Although the process can sometimes be arduous, the problem is almost always fixable.

Before you call, be sure to have the following ready:

  • Benefit type (CRB, CRCB, CRSB, CERB, CESB)
  • Eligibility period you repaid or applied for
  • Amount and date of any repayment